Saturday, June 25, 2022

My "Support" Baby Cats

I’m going to briefly talk about my cats, Marco Polo and Spider. They are nine years old and litter-mates. They are from the second batch of kittens we fostered, and their mother was with them. Marco is a tabby (sorta) with a white tuxedo in front, and Spider is a black cat. I love them so much.

They have always been my support kitties (they like my mom better), and are here for me when I have seizures. They can always sense when one is coming along, it seems. Spider is quite needy and loves to cuddle, so when she cuddles and sits on my face, I figure it’s her being…well, Spider. But, then I’ll have a seizure and realize she knew it was about to happen. It’s hard to explain (dogs are not the only animals that can sense seizures). When I have a seizure, my mind goes somewhere else. However, when Spider sits there, it keeps me aware and in the now. She doesn’t judge me or stare at me funny. She’s just…there.

Marco is similar, though he tends to sit on my vital organs only when he wants to be fed. When it comes to seizures, he’ll rub his face on mine, then sit down on my feet. He’s a big cat, so the weight “wakes me up”, and it's rather comforting, sort of like a weighted blanket.

One time, a few years ago, I was watching a movie by myself downstairs on the floor. I felt a grand mal (tonic-clonic) seizure coming on, and before I went into it, I noticed Marco and Spider right next to me. When I got out of it, I waited for someone to come to the rescue and be with me like they usually do, but my mom was upstairs. Don’t ask me how she eventually heard me because all I could do was grunt.

Marco has asthma, and I was the one who discovered it. I actually looked it up online and brought it up to the vet. Of course, he was not happy with me consulting “Dr Internet”, but I didn’t care. Marco was x-rayed and I was right. Although, apparently, Dr Internet was right, according to the vet. I’ve always felt a special connection with Marco because we both have health issues and they’re awful. He gets a pill sometimes for particularly bad days and gets an inhaler in his face twice a day. I take four different medications and have another pill for the same reason.

It may seem weird that I’m talking about how amazing my cats are and how they support me, but they do! They’re so important to me and them being their perfect selves has made my situation significantly better.

It's incredibly important to support those with health issues, and of course, supporting someone, in general, is also essential. I love that my cats are always here for me, and I hope they know that since I take ten pictures of them a day and kiss their tiny foreheads every time I see them.


Mr Marco Polo cat
Spider cat





1 comment: