Tuesday, January 26, 2016

What Are My Goals?

So, my previous post was all about following my goals. But, as I said, I don't have many.

The goals that I had in mind were big. Moving out, living on my own and getting my drivers license. Although those are great goals, I've got to figure out what I want to do in order to achieve them, which makes smaller goals in the process.

1. Moving out requires money. I have to live on my own which means I have to pay for rent. I will have to buy my own food, clothes....etc.
--I have this image of how I want things to be, but I found out it's not that simple. No wishing, Sara! You want something? Make it happen!
--I did take the first step (or some step) at living on my own, though. Find apartments that I can afford.

2. I cannot live on my own until I have money. How do I get money? Well, I have to get a job. Though I am working for my parents, I am not getting anywhere near close to the amount of money I need to support myself.
--The thing is, though I would love to move out and live on my own, I can't just yet. I am not emotionally and physically ready to work. So, this goal will have to wait.

3. Getting a drivers license seems like a more realistic goal at the moment. At the same time though, is it? I have Epilepsy.
--Over the years, I have slowly begun to lose hope that I would ever get my license. I started to accept that I would always have to rely on someone to drive me around, or I would have to use some other source of transportation. But, when my Neurologist told me a couple months ago that I would most likely get my license this year, the thought didn't process in my mind. Once it sunk in, the excitement lasted about a day and then I went back to no expectations. I've stopped getting my hopes up with the whole license thing because whenever I have hoped, it came crashing down.

I don't mean to sound like a depressing Sara, but those were my thoughts.

There is a lovely woman I email from an Epilepsy based website whom is very kind. We were talking about my goals and how I haven't felt like I have made any. She told me something along the lines of, "You got the VNS. That is a huge goal that you accomplished!" That took me by surprise because I never realized that that was true! The decision to get a VNS is huge! You are getting something put inside of you!

I think my main goal right now is to focus on improving my seizures. That means I have to keep my body healthy.


No comments:

Post a Comment