Sunday, October 22, 2017

An Unusual Post

Hello everybody. I have been wanting to write this post for a while, but I haven't got around to it. You know how everybody is different? They all have their own story and things about them that you may not know? For example, people don't just look at me and think, "I bet she has epilepsy. Yeah, she looks like she has seizures." That isn't how it works, and I think it's rather intriguing how different we all are. Someone who seems like they have nothing wrong with them on the outside, they have their own struggles. I have a point, I promise. I'll get to it.

Last post I talked about how I was going to be going to an endocrinologist to find out more about hormones and whether I should take progesterone for my seizures, because they occur on my menstrual cycle. On Wednesday I had my appointment. It went well, though I am sad that this doctor is leaving. She is incredible and made me feel so comfortable. It was interesting because she had never heard about seizures and hormones affecting each other. It was new to her, but she was kind and has been doing research on it. She's going to pass it on to the other person we will be meeting with. On Friday, I got my blood taken, and that was quite the adventure. I don't want to go into details because it was rather embarrassing, but let's just say that it didn't go as planned. However, it got done and now I am waiting for the results. They want to find out why I am always so fatigued and want to test some other things, as well. Overall, the appointment with the endocrinologist went well. I have another one in November.

Sometimes it seems like I am missing out on so much, due to my health condition. I've always thought, "Why me?" Really. Why me? Of course I have good and bad days, but that is the general question I have on my mind. I know everybody has something. I don't want to seem smug, but I don't understand why this happened to me. I meet people with conditions that are much worse than mine. But that is another thing. Are they really worse? Is one thing more terrible than another? I believe that they aren't "worse than the other". They're just trials. I don't know why I have seizures and why my family doesn't. However, they have things that I don't.

When my sister was 19, she was diagnosed with Spherocytosis. Woah. What's that? Well, it's an extremely rare disease that causes your red blood cells to be sphere-shaped, rather than "bi-concave". Because they are misshapen, the spleen doesn't recognize them, therefore destroying them. That is a brief summary.

My sister had been sick for a while. Little things that were normal to her, were not, but she didn't know anything was wrong for a long time. When she was 19, she almost died. I was nine and when my parents told me, I was terrified. When the doctors found out what was wrong after tests and more tests, she had her spleen and gallbladder removed. The rest of our family was tested for it to make sure we didn't have it, which was a relief when we tested negative. Though my sister had to go through all of that, she made it through, and she is doing great today. She has two kids and is married to a pretty chill guy. <--- Funny, right? No? Sorry.

I actually don't know what my point was supposed to be. Let's go with, "Nobody is alone."


No comments:

Post a Comment